Thursday, December 12, 2013

MPs Pay - They still don't get it

In common, I imagine, with many people, my income both in real terms (adjusted for inflation) and in actual cash terms has fallen considerably in recent years.  I am fortunate in that there were many areas I could (and have) cut back on so that I can keep my head above water.

Imagine if a wonderful independent review body now came along and said "you've fallen behind, you need an 11% rise this year" (it would need to be more like 40% but that's beside the point).

Matthew Paris (who I have a lot of time for) said on the radio that MPs should be comparable with other Senior Public sector employees, such as Doctors.  But they aren't Doctors, or Teachers.  There seems to be some idea that working in the public sector should guarantee some kind of parity with others in the sector - there is absolutely no logical reason for that.

Mr Paris went on to observe (with uncharacteristic ignorance) that other occupations received expenses just as MPs do.  Perhaps when he was an MP Mr Paris wasn't excessive in his expense claims (in fairness many, perhaps even most MPs were reasonable within the rules).   The fact is, though, that even after reforms, many things MPs can be reimbursed for free of tax would attract tax if paid to anyone else as expenses.

But I'm not even whining about my circumstances - what about all the public and private sector workers who've had pay freezes for the last few years?

1 comment:

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Good points well made. To decide that they deserve such a payrise in the middle of a recession when so many people are getting no rise at all or made redundant is particularly crass. Personally I would like to see them receive performance-related pay.